Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Prettying Up the Front Porch

Seeing as how summer is almost over, I must admit that I'm a bit behind schedule on my plan to fix up the front porch.  To be honest, there's not a whole lot of space to work with but I've watched enough HGTV to know that curb appeal counts for something so I figured it's better late than never.

For Home Decor items, I've been shopping more recently at Ross.  I never thought to go there in the past but when I have trouble finding what I'm looking for at Home Goods, I'll stop by Ross which is usually a hit or miss but you definitely can't beat their prices.  So after searching high and low for a plant urn I liked at the two Home Goods stores in my area,  I spotted this lovely at Ross:


I'm not too sure if it's a planter but figured it I could make it work.  I took it home and drilled some holes in the bottom and gave it a fresh coat of black paint.  Now came time for the actual planting part.  I love the plant urns I see in the city with ivy overflowing the rims but I also love the look of boxwood shrubs.  I decided to go for the boxwood since I think it will be much easier to maintain and will hopefully last longer.  I swung by Home Depot where I picked one up for  $6.99.  After finally filling the planter, here's how it looks:



And now here's how the front porch looks so far. 


As you can see, I have limited space to work with but I feel there are a few other things I could do to make it look nicer- starting next with getting a new door mat.  Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered painting your front door? I scanned through your blog for any exterior pics of your house to see if you have already done this, but I didn't see any. I always think a pop of color on the front door really gives a house a personality.

    I love that planter by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd love to paint the front door but we have an HOA so all the doors have to be identical which means no painting for me :( I'll post some pictures of our exterior soon.

    ReplyDelete