Wednesday, June 2, 2010

To paint or not to paint?

Our fireplace was one of the things in our house that didn't need any fixing up when we moved in.  It's very traditional with red brick and a white mantle.  The brick itself is real- not the fake stuff and overall, it's a perfectly nice fireplace.


Except for one thing- I'm thinking of painting it white.  The red brick isn't working so well with the brown and ivory color theme I'm trying to work in the living room.  While the red doesn't look bad, I feel like white brick would look more cohesive.  The only problem is that I'm nervous if we don't like how it looks painted, we can't go back.  What do you think? Should I paint it white or keep it as is?

5 comments:

  1. I would paint it! It is a great quick fix that you will likely love. And if not, you can maybe considering putting up some lovely tile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would paint it--i think that would look really nice. I think it would make the slate pop more too which would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I would paint it - or whitewash it. Our crazy quartz fireplace is the bane of my existence. BUT, big but, what does your mister say? Mine threw a fit when I mentioned painting the red brick fireplace at our old house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am totally in the same boat. My fireplace looks VERY similiar to yours and my parents suggested black?? I might go for white brink or an antique white?
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a great fireplce, if I were you I would paint it!! And paint the screen about the opening aflat black too

    ReplyDelete