Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Kitchen- Part Two

After we removed the counters, we were able to get started on painting the cabinets. Our cabinets are oak and even though everyone said not to paint them white , we went ahead and did just that. I tried to do as much research as possible beforehand so I knew what we were in for. We were definitely going to need a sander, primer and of course the paint. Something new I encountered was wood filler- I never even knew it existed. I wanted to change the hardware on the cabinets from the old utensil styled handles that the old owners had to knobs so wood filler was definitely a necessity.

We used Kilz primer- although I've read this is supposed to be the best primer ever, I have to admit I'm not a fan. It tended to clump up and was pretty hard to put on. We used two coats of primer and then two coats of paint. I usually don't mind painting but I've never painted cabinets before- the whole process was kind of grueling. Luckily my dad offered to take our cabinet doors home and finished painting them for us. Here some photos of the the work in progress:





Next stop- the counters!

No comments:

Post a Comment